How To Cancel CenturyLink Internet
More and more people are starting to understand living on a budget means cutting costs. However, some things are essential to keep, like the internet. Most people choose to work from home and need a good secure connection to work professionally. One of the biggest competitors out there for the internet is CenturyLink. However, they are not the most budget-friendly.
You can cancel your CenturyLink internet services by calling their customer service number. You cannot do this process online; you will have to talk to an agent. They will ask for other information like your name, account number, and reasons for cancellation. After answering all of these questions, they will give you specific instructions.
Though it may seem like a hassle, canceling your CenturyLink internet service may be one of the best steps you can take for your budget. It will give you more freedom in the future to choose something that better fits your lifestyle, with a better contract, and also a better price. However, there are a few things you can expect when you try to cancel your contract.
In this article you will find out...
- What Is CenturyLink?
- The Advantages of CenturyLink
- Disadvantages of CenturyLink
- Reasons to Cancel This Network
- How to Cancel CenturyLink
- The Exact Steps to Canceling CenturyLink
- How Much Does It Cost to Cancel CenturyLink
- How Do I Return My Centurylink Equipment
- What to Expect When Canceling CenturyLink
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is CenturyLink?
This is a company that is known for its internet services. In 2019 they had over 4.68 million broadband internet subscribers. They are a massive company that also provides TV services like cable and even home security services.
Though this may seem like a dream company, they have many customers and not enough employees to truly help everyone. Lately, there have been many complaints of slow internet, bad wiring, and router problems. This has led many people to attempt to make the call and cancel their contracts.
The Advantages of CenturyLink
One of the best things about CenturyLink is that once you sign the contract and determine a price, that price is set. This means it does not change over the years, and you are locked in. This is also a provider that has an extensive service area. You can live out in the desert and may still be able to get CenturyLink for your home. You can also choose many bundles, which is nice if you need internet, cable, and a home phone. For many people, the bundle is cheaper than paying for each item.
Disadvantages of CenturyLink
The truth is there are a few advantages of using CenturyLink, and it can be a dealbreaker for many customers. This company does not offer deals for first-time buyers or any special introductory offers.
It may not be a huge deal, but it can affect someone’s decision. Customer service is a huge hit or miss, which can make it challenging to get good customer service or your answers offered. There are exceptionally low download speeds that can affect the use of your internet.
Reasons to Cancel This Network
The truth is this is not the most reasonably priced network, and the customer service is dissatisfactory enough that it may be more hassle than it’s worth. You can now use many other providers, and it is okay to want to try out the competition. Here are some reasons you may choose to cancel this network.
You Only Use Prime or Netflix
Let’s face it. Most of us have full-time jobs and don’t have time to binge TV anymore. If you only sit down once a week to watch a new movie on Netflix, you don’t really need Wifi or Cable. It is not worth the money just for a weekly dose of high-speed streaming.
The Competition Offers Better Prices
Some competitors want you to join their team. They will offer better introductory offers and lock you into a better price after the introductory period is over. This gives them a competing edge over CenturyLink.
You Don’t Need a Bundle
One of the advantages of CenturyLink is that they provide bundles that make it cheaper for you to get all services. However, this is only good and worth the price if you use all the services. Most of us don’t use home phones anymore, and the bundles can be outdated.
How to Cancel CenturyLink
Many people wonder if they can cancel this online, and unfortunately, the answer is no. The best and easiest way to cancel a CenturyLink package is by calling their customer service number. You can do this Monday-Friday between 8 am-6 pm. However, there may be a long wait, and they will put you on hold until a representative can speak to you. Many places have a call-back service if you do not have time to wait on hold.
Before you get on the phone, you will need to gather some information. Firstly, you will need to know whose name is on the account. Secondly, you may need an account number. Thirdly, you will need to state exactly why you are canceling your account. This will help them identify areas they need to work on so they do not lose more customers. You may also need your credit card information to pay the fee to end the contract.
The Exact Steps to Canceling CenturyLink
Canceling your service should not be difficult. However, sometimes the customer service is a hit or miss. If you need to do it, be sure to wait for someone to answer. There are four steps you need to take when trying to cancel your CenturyLink service.
- Call the customer service line. There are two different customer service lines, and you will need to choose the right one to talk to the correct person. The easiest way to find out the accurate phone number is by going to the website and looking at the numbers. One will be for a business line, and the other will be for residential.
- Talk to the customer service representative. You will need to give them your name, phone number connected to the account, your account number, and reason for leaving. You will need to wait on the line while they process your request.
- Pay the balance that is owed when ending the contract. CenturyLink does have a fee for ending the contract earlier. You may want to consider waiting until your two-year contract is over. However, sometimes that is not worth it.
- Claim your deposit. If you signed up with CenturyLink, they might have asked you to make a deposit. Once you end your contract early and pay the fee, you may be able to get this deposit back. It is money that can go directly back into your bank account.
How Much Does It Cost to Cancel CenturyLink
Unfortunately, there is a price for canceling your contract early. For some people, it may be better to wait out the contract and cheaper to do so. If you have two months of service left on your contract, it may be cheaper to wait it out and not renew the contract.
However, if you have a full year to go, sometimes canceling the service is the most budget-friendly option. For a 24 month contract, the cancelation fee is $200. There is a 36-month contract that will cost $300 to cancel prematurely.
To return a CenturyLink modem, you will need to follow the packaging instructions. You will need to ensure that you find all of the pieces and equipment that CenturyLink gave you. If you do not find the modem, router, and cords, they may charge you an additional fee to make up for the loss of equipment. Here are the exact steps you need to take to pack the equipment.
- Find a rigid box with flaps. You will need to securely pack the router, modem, and cords into a tight box that is rigid and has a layer of protection. Use a cushion to wrap around the products and then place gently inside of the box.
- Use strong packaging tape. You will want to go for something heavy-duty, unlike scotch tape. We recommend using packing tape. This will be strong enough to keep the box closed and intact during all shipping and handling.
- Print a return label. One of the nice things about CenturyLink is that if you know your account number, you can go directly to their website to print out a shipping label that is meant for returns.
- Ensure the shipping label is attached to the top of the box. To keep this from getting wet during transit, you can use clear tape to cover the label on the box. It needs to be clear enough to read in order to be shipped.
- Drop the package off at a shipping center near you. This is your final step, and with the shipping label, you should be set to go.
What to Expect When Canceling CenturyLink
When you cancel your network provider, you will receive a closing bill. You can expect a friendly customer service rep to walk you through the entire process and to be able to talk about your final bill. You may see extra charges, and you will be able to ask what they are about. You will see a finalized bill and receive a notice in the mail saying your contract has ended. If you did not collect your deposit online, you will receive a check in the mail for the amount owed to you.
CenturyLink has a lot of advantages but also a lot of disadvantages that make it unsatisfactory. Suppose you have been thinking about switching to a different internet service. In that case, you may be able to find one that is more budget-friendly. If you do not need the add-on services, there are tons of good providers out there. Finding the right provider can mean working from home in a secure environment and having fewer router issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Still have questions about canceling CenturyLink? Take a look to find your answer!
What is the best way to contact CenturyLink?
If you have any questions, you will want to get in touch with customer service. Unfortunately, you will not be able to do this on the weekend. The phone number to contact a representative is 866-642-0444, and they are open Monday-Friday from 8 am-6 pm.
Can you negotiate with CenturyLink?
There may be a time when you can negotiate a price with a representative but not always. If you are trying to lower your payment, they may offer you a payment program that will lower your monthly bill. However, this does not always happen. To get the best prices to start, you will need to look through all competitors.
Does CenturyLink have a senior discount?
Though this company does not offer introductory rates, they do offer senior discounts. This may help you lower your monthly bill and save you a few dollars if you qualify.